Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Nobody

Where I live if you don't know someone famous, you're a nobody.  Lots of Redskins live around here and plenty of famous Hollywood stars have their second or third or fourth home here.  All of my friends know at least one of these "celebrities", but not me.  I'm a nobody.

The closest times I have come to a celebrity encounter was first when I was about 18 years-old and saw Willard Scott in Albany airport.  He winked at me and said hello.  Steve was there to witness it and my jealous then-boyfriend did nothing but laugh at him hitting on me.  The second time my friend Kathleen and I saw Tyra Banks in the lobby of a fancy hotel we were staying in.  I said, "She looks like Naomi Campbell" about ten seconds before she got on an elevator as someone yells, "We love you Tyra!"  Yep, I'm a nobody.

Even my husband has better celebrity stories than me.  When he was in college, he went to a concert in Charlottesville and Dave Matthews was there.  The girls he was with were googly-eyed over him and dared Steve to go talk to him.  So he did, told him his name and that he was going to see him the next night at Dave's concert, and walked away.  Later on that night, Dave came up to Steve and started dancing with him!  At the concert the next night he said to the crowd, "This goes out to my friend Steve who's out there somewhere."

I'm a nobody, but at least I'm married to somebody!

No comments: