Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Sweet Touch to Baking



Heaven on earth- in the shape of a muffin.

Some people may not realize there is a difference between baking and cooking. Cooking is what you do for dinner, baking is what you do for dessert. Baking usually involves the oven...and sugar, butter/shortening, and lots of calories.

I enjoy cooking but find it very hard to gather up the ingredients (usually there are a lot). I am adventurous with my cooking, always on the search for a kid-approved and healthy dish to put on the table. I resolve to try something new at least once a week which will fit with all of our dietary restrictions and allergies. Unfortunately, the results are usually less than gratifying when we all sit at the table.

What I really love to do is bake! Of course I love to try new savory recipes, but my favorite things to bake are recipes from my grandmothers. They are tried and true, always consistently delicious and disappear in an instant. My favorite from my Grandma Hoyt is a wonderful recipe for chocolate cupcakes with a vanilla drizzle which would make Mr. Hershey cry. Moist and rich and all you can do to keep from reaching for another. She also could make a mean chocolate chip cookie...Nestle Toll House recipe plus one egg and extra flour to make them soft.

My favorite from my Grandma Francis...well, there are many. I love her zucchini bread recipe as well as her recipes for sugar cookies and mincemeat surprise cookies. Unbelievable! Today, however, I am making banana bread. As I mixed the batter together, mashing the disgustingly brown bananas and adding the sour milk, I just can hear her voice in my head, "The browner the bananas, the more flavor," and, "Sour milk is just milk with a little bit of vinegar." I feel closer to her as I mix the ingredients and let the loaves sit for twenty minutes before baking. Once cooled, the loaves are crunchy on the outside and moist and delicious on the inside.

These recipes make me feel a little closer to my grandmothers as I bake their recipes and share them with my children. It makes baking that much sweeter!

Kyle threatening to eat the whole thing while Lance covertly tries to steal a loaf!

No comments: