Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

I am sitting in my kitchen, thinking about this historic day.  The TV was on, my eyes glued to the screen waiting for the first glimpse of the man who will become the President of the United States today.  I'm thinking of the tremendous burden facing this rosy cheeked man in the next four years, the economy, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, environment, and terrorism, just to name the big ones.  What a huge load on his shoulders, and he hasn't yet walked into the Oval Office.

Barack Obama is the first politician for whom I put a bumper sticker on my car and the first campaign to which I donated, but this isn't about how my guy won and yours may not have.  It's about celebrating our country and our first African-American president.  It's about the people of this land knowing anyone can achieve greatness, regardless of your background or the color of your skin.  It's a great day to celebrate being an American!

This is also a day of remembering for me.  Today would have been my father's 61st birthday.  Oh, how he would have loved Barack Obama!  His charismatic character and sense of family, in addition to his intelligence and work ethic.  Dad would be very proud to be an American too, I'm sorry he's missing this day.

I'll be watching his swearing in and inauguration speech, listening for the sense of hope Barack Obama brings to all around him.  It is a momentous day!  Please celebrate with me.

No comments: