Thursday, October 23, 2008

Enjoy the Monotony!

(This is a delayed blog due to the blogger’s ineptitude. Sorry for the confusion, maybe the anticipation of the actual story will make it that much grander.)

We all complain. I hear it everyday at the grocery store and I am constantly doing it. (A special “shout out” to Kathleen at this point for putting up with me.) We complain about our kids, our husbands, our finances, our lack of time, our boring lives…so many things. Not that we are negative people, but it’s just something we do.

But no more for me. I’m done complaining. I just had one of those reality checks I always talk about needing. The kind where you need to take a good, hard look at your life and think, “My life is good.” A reflection on all which is right in the world and knowing you are fortunate.

My friend is going through one of those hair-raising, one-chilling moments right now in her life. Her seven year-old daughter may have cancer. How can this be? Seven year-olds don’t get cancer. My father passed away from the disease at 57 years-old and that was way too young, how can this little seven year-old girl have such a ruthless and devastating disease?

My friend thought her daughter had a urinary tract infection. T. took her to the doctor for antibiotics and they didn’t seem to help. H. continued to have severe pain and it worsened. After another day, T. called to doctor back and they told her to take her to the ER. Long story, and a hospital transfer later, they are awaiting test results from a potato-sized tumor removed from her uterus, along with a fallopian tube and one ovary. Results will come in the next couple of days.

I sat in my car this morning, frazzled from trying to get two babies and three boys ready for the day. As I started the car I thought about how every day seems to be the same old, boring regimen. Then I thought of my friend and her terrible ordeal. I realized how fortunate I am to have such a monotonous morning today and every day. Monotony is not such a bad thing.

I’m a fortunate person. I have a lovely family full of love and grace, a lovely home to fit all of our love and grace, and all I ever hoped and dreamed of having. We have a roof over our heads, food on the table, and no more health concerns than some runny noses and, currently, one ear infection. Life is good.

Follow-up: H. is home from the hospital with good news. No cancer!! She is recovering, swamped with balloons, flowers, stuffed animals, and treats. Mom and Dad are thrilled! I’m sure they are looking forward to some monotony!

1 comment:

Christy said...

What a relief! We were all praying for her! She's bouncing around with all the girls now... saw H. at Brownies. :-)