Monday, September 8, 2008

Hard, hard day

Steve and Spencer in 1994!

Today was a long day.

One of those days you dread...restless sleep and anxiety the night before, wishing the morning would never come so you don't have to face the day. When the sun comes up over the mountain, your body becomes a knot of wrenching tightness. Today is the day, the day we have been dreading. Today is the day we lost our beloved dog.

Really it should be a sense of relief. Our Spencer, who we have had for 15 years since I was in college, was in pain and he wasn't going to get any better. His hips made it difficult for him to do the things he wanted to do and his quality of life was diminishing. It should be a comfort to know he is not suffering any longer, it should be a comfort to know he had a wonderful life, but it's not.

We made the oh-so difficult decision on Thursday to do it. We would have done it on Friday, but it was Kyle's birthday so we waited until today. I kept hoping his little ticker would give out before the day came, but he's a fighter! He made it until Monday, so now we have the chore of taking care of our little puppy-dog as good owners should.

I wanted to scream, "We can't do this!" I wanted to call Steve and tell him, "NO! Come home!" (Thank goodness for my husband who went with him to comfort him during his last breath. Honey, you are a good man!) We made the appointment, surely we could cancel it. This thought made it even harder to bear losing him, we could still have him here with us. It breaks my heart!

Kyle and Trent took it very hard. We told them when they came home from school that Spencer died while at the vet's office when the vet was trying to make him feel better. Not a lie... Just the omission that your parents made this decision. They cried and cried some more after we told them we couldn't go get another puppy. Thankfully we still have our loving, though slightly goofy, Willie to keep our spirits high and to save our house from feeling too empty.

Willie...poor Willie! He kept looking around the house all day. It broke my heart. Although he and Spencer haven't romped around for a long time, they looked out for one another. Willie seems a bit depressed, but aren't we all?

I keep telling myself we did the right thing. Spencer is out of pain, a pain from which he could not recover. Painlessness is comforting, but our loss will take a long time to heal.

Spencer, buddy, I miss you. I miss your constant knocks on the door to be let inside or out. I miss the clicks of your nails on the floor. I miss you cleaning up after the babies or prodding them for more Cheerios. I miss things about you I haven't even realized yet I miss. You were a great dog. Thank you for being a part of our family.

No comments: