Sunday, February 21, 2010

Grandma Hoyt's Chocolate Cupcake Recipe

After trying these, you will say "These are not your kids' cupcakes!"  Dee-lish!

A couple of you have asked for my grandmother's chocolate cupcake recipe. So here goes:

Grandma Hoyt's Chocolate Cupcakes
1 cup sugar
pinch salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 egg, beaten
2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 cup boiling water
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, salt and butter. Beat in egg. Add melted chocolate and water. Make sure this is well beaten. Stir in flour, vanilla and soda. Do not over mix, batter should be lumpy. Pour batter into prepared cupcake tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

The icing is the part which is tricky to explain. Written on my card it says, "Icing ingredients - butter, milk, sugar, vanilla." One of the things which makes this recipe so special is that my grandmother dictated the recipe as I wrote.  I'm sure she gave better instructions than what I have written down, and my father said I never got it exactly right. I always hoped for perfection with this icing, but he died before I got the "Perfect 10".  I'd love to have one more shot for him to taste them.

But I digress.  I can give you a couple of hints about the icing. The icing is meant to be a drizzle, not spread. I would not put more than 2 tablespoons of softened butter in it and I would imagine a little salt would work in nicely. Obviously, the sugar is confectioner's sugar.

Good luck! I think I will make these cupcakes sometime this week and will update you with some better icing info. Gotta say, the cupcakes would be great with no icing at all and the bastardization of icing from a can is just not acceptable!

Enjoy! 

* Update: I made the cupcakes and icing yesterday. I used 2 tablespoons softened butter, 1 cup confectioner's sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, a pinch of salt, and a half teaspoon of vanilla. Use clear vanilla if you want pure white icing. Put a dab of icing in the center of the top and it will expand.

This was fun for me to make these cupcakes, I haven't made them in a while. The taste fondly reminds me of my grandmother and my dad. I miss making cupcakes for them!

No comments: