Sunday, October 11, 2009

Visit to DC



We went to DC today to visit some of the sights. The weather was perfect, a blue sky with a couple of poofy clouds here and there. We had no sports scheduled, so we decided to take advantage of our proximity to our Nation's Capital and explore.

We had first decided to go to the zoo, but changed our minds as we went over the Potomac River into town to go to the memorials and museums. We found a parking spot and walked to the Jefferson Memorial. Trent has really been into history, especially the Presidents, so he wanted to check it out.

Steve and some of the kids in front of his hero "Thomas Jefferson."

Observation #1: The monuments are not very accessible or at least not very intuitive. Getting around with our double stroller was not easy, but at least with two people we could lift the stroller over a couple of steps. People with wheelchairs are probably frustrated on a daily basis.

Then the food frenzy was on. Everybody was hungry!

Observation #2: Unless you want a hot dog or pretzel, you are pretty much screwed for food. It's a good thing everything tastes good with peanut M&M's, right Kyle???

We ate lunch in front of the fountain at the American History museum. Luke is particularly fascinated with shooting water, we hope this translates into a quick potty training! It was particularly lovely.

After lunch, we walked to the Natural History museum as we touted Mammoths, the Hope Diamond newly removed from her necklace setting, the insect zoo with hissing cockroaches, and mummies.

Observation #3: My memory is not as good as it once was.

We saw the mammoth, after much searching because we came in the back way. I remember being stunned by its enormous tusks and awestruck by its gigantic girth. The boys were not impressed. We went and saw the Hope diamond, after warning my kids that I remembered not being too impressed with it. After competing with a bunch of blue-haired old ladies, they finally got a glimpse. Not too impressed. Then we went to the insect zoo, but first we had to walk through the skeleton area. That was probably where we spent the most time and where Lance would have spent more time. Kyle was anxious to get to the insects and Trent was laying on the floor saying he was tired. We needed to move!


Lance's pictures from the skeleton exhibit.

Observation #4: If you have a lot of people in your group, you probably aren't going to get a chance to see all you want to see.

We got to the Insect Zoo and saw some cool metamorphosis exhibits with real butterflies and moths, a cool active bee hive, but no hissing cockroaches. At least not the way I remembered, where the kids would actually touch them and other insects like millipedes. They may have been in a different spot but we didn't see them. Kyle was a little disappointed.

As we were leaving, the babies were really starting to loose it. The boys and Steve had movie tickets starting in 45 minutes, so I decided I would take the babies while they looked around a little more until there movie started. They were both screaming in their stroller as I tried to get out of this place.

Observation #5: The Natural History Museum is very hard to navigate without using stairs than the Jefferson Memorial.

I weaved through the maze of artifacts, sculptures and tourists. One even said to me, "After hearing your babies, my husband just said we should have another." It's exactly what Steve would say to me so I said, "You go for one more [one finger held up] and you get this [finger pointing to the twins]." She laughed, I kept trying to find the flipping exit!

Observation #6: Most people will get out of the way for a woman pushing a stroller of screaming babies. To them I give them a smile and a "thank you" and keep trucking. Some will not. To them I give them an "excuse me" and then promptly run over their toes, feet, and ankles!

I got outside and the babies snuggled in for a nap. I walked around the National Mall, from the museum to the Capitol, up to the Washington Monument, and back to the museum. The last time I was walking the mall I was with my friend Kathleen. There was a protest, but I don't think we ever figured out what it was for. They were bare-chested or wearing pink and singing protest songs, so all we could come with was "Women with Breast Cancer Against the War in Iraq".

Today the protests on the Capitol steps were about equal rights for gay Americans. It's actually a cause I agree with so I was interested in hearing what they said. I had the pleasure of listening to Cynthia Nixon from "Sex and the City" speak and some teens who had won some awards for their awesome speeches on equality.

Observation #7: There were some rather handsome well-dressed men at this protests, most with their arm around another man or holding another man's hand. It seems to be true for all of my single friends, the good ones are either taken or gay. Sorry Sisters!

Observation #8: I'm really glad Trent wasn't around to see all I saw today. He would have had asked a lot of questions I don't think I'm prepared to answer yet.

After the babies fell asleep and I had gotten close to where we had planned to meet, I had about 15 minutes to sit and relax until I had to meet Steve and the boys. I decided to sit under an oak tree with my babies and my phone, clean up some of the pictures, take a few, and text a couple of people. I then closed my eyes for about 10 minutes. It was lovely and relaxing!

Luke and Kate snuggled up next to each other.
I got a lot of comments on how cute they looked.

We met up again and trekked back to the car. It was quite a hike and everyone did pretty well. Lance has the shortest legs so he needs a bit of a pass, I gave him a piggyback for a little bit at the end, but everyone did great.

On our way home we went to Red Robin. I hadn't been there in 11 or 12 years and certainly not with kids...boy have we been missing out! The food was good, the entertainment for the kids was good, and unending fries??? Why hadn't we done this sooner? It will probably be our go-to place from now on.

Observation #9: We had such a good time today I think I may venture out by myself tomorrow to the zoo with the kids. Steve has to work so it won't be as much fun, but we'll try!


No comments: