Friday, March 14, 2008

The Making of a Great Day

Okay, it's been awhile. I know, I know! All of you folks out there (I'm sure there are millions) enjoying this blog must be sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to hear the wonderfully wise words I spew out. I can tell there are so many of you by the numerous comments I get...oh wait! Nonetheless, this blog is more about me and less about you so I will move on.

Today has been an extremely good day, though from the surface it won't seem that way. Luke is consistently sleeping through the night, and Kate isn't. In fact, she has been congested and is sleeping quite rottenly (is that a word?) and grunting while she breathes. Trent woke up in the middle of the night with a high fever, so high I didn't even take his temperature and just gave him medicine. I didn't send him to school which broke his heart, it was "Twins/Triplets Day" at school and he and his friends had decorated shirts to wear. Steve left super early this morning to catch a train in DC to go to NYC for the day so I was on my own for the morning routine. This can go either really well or really bad, depending on the number of times I hit the snooze button and the number of babies awake while I'm scrambling up some eggs. Then I have to drag four kids to the doctor's office because Kate and Luke have their four-month checkups today. (Kate weighed 13 lbs. 3 oz. and Luke weighed a whopping 15 lbs 2 oz.) Kate needs to be nebulized 3-4 times a day due to her congestion and wheezing and Luke has a heart murmur (!) and needs to be seen by a Cardiologist.

None of those things really sound like the start of a great day, do they? In fact considering these things all happened before 9 am, it could have been a really bad day. It wasn't. Trent and Lance were actually complimented by the crotchety pediatrician about how well-behaved they were during the babies' appointment, the weather was absolutely lovely and spring is coming, and I was able to complete some projects I've had going on around here. The kids got along really well and the weather is gorgeous. (It's the small things.) The boys and I didn't go many places today, and the babies were tired from their shots, so we actually had some conversations. Some were worthwhile, others were not. The most recent happened while I was helping Lance in the shower tonight and he was trying to "get my tush shiny" (his tush, not mine). We agreed the job was done when I needed to get the sunglasses out due to the shine! I don't think I have ever taken a shower asking myself, "Is your tush shiny enough yet?" but I may now!

The house is not spic and span and my husband is coming home late, to mention only two of my woes for the evening. I have no complaints, for I am a blessed woman with plenty of time to clean the house another time! For now, I will appreciate what I have.

No comments: