Monday, March 31, 2008

Boys vs. Girls

Lance and Kyle were playing today. Kyle was absent due to a pending time bomb...more on that later. I didn't pay much attention, there were some planes and rockets, some action figures, and the two of them running around. There was some banter going back and forth and I started to pay attention and come up with a theory.

You see, the boys had a great conversation while they played. It went something like this:

Boy 1: "My plane is flying through the air."
Boy 2: "But my plane comes along and shoots at your plane. Bang! Bang!"
Boy 1: "But I go into a cloud so you can't find me."
Boy 2: "But my plane has a radar and can find you in the cloud. Bang! Bang!"
Boy 1: "But I have a shield that protects me from your bullets and it ricochets off of me into you. Direct hit!"
Boy 2: "But I have an ejector button and fly out of my plane with my parachute and land safely on the ground."
Boy 1: "But I eject from my plane too and come after you with my bazooka."
Boy 2: "But I turn on my invincibility so when you shoot me, I don't die."
Boy 1: "Me too!"

As a side note, we all should have the ability to turn on "invincibility" as a safe measure. I may not be an expert on how girls play, but I used to be one. Let's look at how girls play as I remember it:

Girl 1: "Let's play Barbies!"
Girl 2: "And I'll be Barbie!"
Girl 1: "And I'll be Ken, but I'm not really a boy.""
Girl 2: "And we fall deeply in love and we get married."
Girl 1: "And I wear a really pretty dress and look like a princess."
Girl 2: "And I am very handsome, but I'm not really a boy."
Girl 1: "And we live in a castle with beautiful flowers."
Girl 2: "And we live happily ever after."

As another side note, it's a fact no girl wants to be Ken, they must state throughout the play their disdain for this character.

Let's compare. Besides the obvious "Boys are violent and girls are sweet", let's dig a bit deeper. Boys are all about the "buts"and girls are all about the "ands". Their sentences continue each other thoughts, boys with the competitive "but" with another outrageous way to get away from danger and girls with the team-building "and" with another idea to make the characters happily ever after.

As I listened to Lance and Kyle today, it made me laugh. Their keen abilities to get away from danger time after time just struck me funny. When all else fails, don't forget to turn on invincibility!

No comments: