Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Dance!

I was cleaning up under our dinner table today and found some bits under my two year-old boy's chair.  I couldn't guess what they were and almost pulled out the camera to have a little contest on my blog, but decided to spare you the suspense and me the embarrassment of how dirty under my table can get.

Oh my, you should see it sometimes!

Anyway, as I was cleaning, I started thinking about the boy's eating habits and how no one would guess what a picky eater he is.  Actually I don't think he is particularly picky, it's the way he eats which is peculiar.  He tends to graze throughout the day and not like to sit down for meals.  This may explain the size of his belly considering he likes to eat all day long!!!

Then as I continued cleaning (under the table was pretty disgusting), I thought about my cooking and the way my children eat and one glaring thing came to mind.

I can't please everyone.

While I wouldn't consider my kids picky, some may.  Picky or not, I have a "take it or leave it" rule for dinner.  I worked hard to cook this meal, Dad worked hard to pay for this meal...no complaints.  But we still get complaints.  Every day.  I can't please everyone.

But on those rare, rare days when I do please everyone (or at least 4 out of the 5), we call it a "happy dance dinner."  Each of the kids dances with a silly arm push maneuver which Lance inspired, and the meal goes down in history on the "Happy Dance Dinner" list.

I should say that my other two year-old will dance to anything put on her plate.  She's like that, she will dance to anything.

Currently on our list are:

  • frittata (so random, I know)
  • baked ziti
  • inside-out cheeseburgers
  • spaghetti
  • breakfast for dinner
  • tacos
  • pizza (of course)
We are having one of the happy dance meals tonight...tacos!  Very messy though...under the table will be a mess tonight!

Feliz cinco de mayo!  Grab a margarita and celebrate!

No comments: