Friday, June 5, 2009

Strange, Rare Thing

Something happened to me this week which has only happened to me once before in my entire life.  Experts tell parents to do it ALL the time, but we never heed their advice.  I've never done it, but know it should be done.  People who do it usually feel very weird about doing it. 

What is this thing?  Talking to parents about guns in their homes.

Twice in my life I've had parents ask me if we had guns in our house.  Each time I am shocked at the courage it took her to ask another me.  Not because I was personally offended, but because I was proud they had the moxie to ask.

We don't have guns in our house.  It's our personal decision.  We know people have them and we are proud to live in a country where that is your personal freedom.  The thing is that people don't talk about guns.  I'm not sure if it is because they are afraid of offending their friends or something else.  Of all of my friends I only know of one family who has a gun in their house, but I am sure there are many, many more.

Every year, children are tragically killed by gun accidents.  Most could have been prevented if parents did a better job of securing the guns.  I consider myself fortunate to not know someone who this has personally affected, but will I be able to say that throughout my life?  I certainly hope so.

We should talk to other parents about guns in houses for the safety of our children, but I'm not sure if it will matter.  Lots of research has been done that parents can talk until they are blue in the face about not playing with guns and children will still do it.  Which leaves it up to the parents to keep their guns safe.  It guess that's where it gets tricky and parents are afraid of offending one another.  What is the definition of a safe gun where children play?

When the mom of one of Lance's friends asked me about guns in our home in an email, I complimented her in person for being so courageous.  She apologized for being "over protective" and even said, "I know you're an Obama girl but I thought I'd ask."  In the conversation, I asked her what she would do if I said I did.  She hesitated for a moment and said she would have asked me if they were safely locked away.

Again, what is safe?

Ultimately it's a matter of comfort for me.  If I am comfortable with trusting the parents with the care of my children, then I should trust them with gun safety in their home.

Does that mean I shouldn't ask the question?  Probably not.  Does this mean I will ask the question? I will try.

This is not meant to be an anti-gun message, for I agree that guns have a place in this world.  I just think there should be a better dialogue between parents about this issue.

Before someone else gets hurt.


No comments: