Thursday, August 11, 2011

It's the Most Wonderful Time...

Nope, not the first day of school.  (Although it may have a difficult time concealing my smile as the bus pulls away in a little more than two weeks.  It's been a trying summer.)

Nope, not Christmas.  (Geez, I dislike that holiday!)

It's the first tomato harvest of the summer!  Well, actually this is the time when to tomatoes are coming so rapidly that I can make a tomato salad for all of us.

To celebrate our momentous achievement, Kate and Luke decided to help:


They have a bit of an assembly line going of spiking a yellow and red tomato and some fresh mozzarella.  The results look pretty good:

  

This is going along with some beef satay so we will have a bit of a "stick" theme for dinner.  We'll see if the kids like it.  I'll be happy if each kid eats one of the tomato kebobs!

Here is a sample of the salad I made for Steve and me tonight.  A little of the same ingredients as the kebobs along with some fresh basil, cracked pepper and olive oil:


Again, like the kids, I'll be happy if Steve eats half of this salad.

But me, I'll be eating their leftovers and out in the garden again tomorrow searching for more salad fixings.

No comments: